Spinach And Wild Rice Casserole
- 4 Bags Of Frozen Spinach Thawed And Drained
- 1 pound cremini Mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive Oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced Or Grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thyme chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream Or Canned Coconut Milk
- 4 cups Cooked Wild Rice
- 2 Cups Cave Aged Gruyere Cheese Shredded
- 2 Cups Pepper Jack Cheese Shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive Oil
- 2 large Sweet Onions Chopped
- Sea Salt And Pepper
- Grease a 2-3 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Combine the Cheeses into a small bowl.
- Heat a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoon of oil and all of the spinach to the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the spinach is warmed. Once the spinach is cooked, remove the from the skillet and set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the skillet is hot, sprinkle in the mushrooms in a single layer. Don’t stir them! Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, about 2 minutes. When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them once and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Continue to cook without stirring for about 5 minutes. Now add the butter to the skillet and cook until the butter begins to brown. Once the butter is browned reduce the heat and add the garlic, thyme and nutmeg and cook for about 10 seconds. Now add the spinach back to the skillet with the mushrooms, garlic and spices and toss well.
- Sprinkle the flour over the spinach and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes or until there is a thick sauce. Add the cream and half of the cheese stir to combine. Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked wild rice. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Now wipe the skillet and add the olive oil, cook over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the onions and half the cheese over the casserole. Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with Broiled Chicken and garlic bread.
NOTE: You can brown 2 lbs of lean ground chuck, or 4 cups of rotisserie chicken, added at the end for a non vegetarian option.