Easy Indian-Style Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin Seed
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Pound Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves – Cubed
- 1/2 (14 Ounce) Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hot Chile Paste
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- Sea Salt And Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, and fry for a few minutes until they become fragrant and begin to pop. Stir in chopped onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir together tomato paste and water, and pour into skillet. Stir in chicken, and cook until it has firmed and turned white, about 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, brown sugar, chile paste, cayenne pepper, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving. Serve over Basmati or Jasmine Rice.