Lemon Poke Cake
1 Cups Sifted Cake Flour
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Cups White Sugar
1/4 Cup Packed Lemon Zest
3/4 Canola Oil
1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract (optional)
1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
5 Large Eggs Lightly Beaten
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Cup Sour Cream
3 Cups Sifted Confectioners’ Sugar
5 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine white sugar and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until fully incorporated. Whisk in oil, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking vigorously between each addition. Add lemon juice and whisk again; add Sour Cream, whisking a final time to incorporate.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture all at once and use a rubber spatula to very gently fold the dry into the wet. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a crumb or two, rotating at the halfway point, 30 to 35 minutes. Set on a cooling rack and let the cake cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert the cake, right-side up, on to the rack, and set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- While cake cools, make the glaze. Place confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth. Poke holes all over the cake top with a fork. Gently pour the glaze over the cake, using an offset spatula to spread the glaze if it pools, and let the cake cool to room temperature..